Ten men have been charged with a stab attack in north Brisbane earlier this week in which a 19-year-old man was killed and 10 others injured.
The group of men, all aged between 18 and 32, is said to have met another group gathered in a park in Zillmere on September 13 around 5:30 p.m.
Police executed several arrest warrants in Ipswich and South Brisbane on Wednesday morning and took the men into custody. Three vehicles have also been seized since Sunday.
The men were each charged with one murder, 12 times each of acts intended to cause serious bodily harm, and once for assault and disobedience, Queensland police said in a statement Wednesday night.
They will appear before the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Thursday.
Leaders in Brisbane’s African communities assisted police in their investigation.
Beny Aterdit Bol, chairman of the Queensland African Communities Council, previously told SBS News that the South Sudanese community was distraught by the “unexpected, very tragic incident”.
“The community is so shocked, it is very upset,” said Bol.
“A young person lost his life, a young person who had a bright future.”
Chief Inspector Tony Flemming told reporters earlier on Monday that those involved in the incident turned out to be “outliers in the African community.”
“The advice I have is that they are generally not supported by the African community,” said Flemming.
Bol, who is also active in youth work, said Brisbane’s South Sudanese community is not unique in its struggle to engage some of its youth.
“We are aware that some young people are withdrawing. They are young people from different backgrounds, not just African, ”he said.
“We have no history of young people coming together and engaging in fights of that nature.
“As a community, we need to understand the causes of this and work closely with families and community members to find out what’s going on.”